The main problem with dreams is making them a reality.
It’s fun to dream. You can sit back, and imagine any number of possible futures for yourself, and wile away the hours constructing a new reality in your mind.
Making them a reality is where the trouble lies.
The are some problems with dreaming of running your own business:
- “Business” is nebulous, and you can easily keep your dreams just as vague. It’s fun to imagine only the upside, but you must see a more complete picture in order to act.
- It’s too easy to become complacent and join the legions who also dream. Action is required in order to make your dreams real.
- There’s too much bad advice out there, or too much advice aimed at people who aren’t like you.
And so if this is something you’ve never done before, how do you do it?
Well it seems to be these are my steps:
- Make my dreams concrete. What does a business look like in every regard? What compromises will I make? How much revenue am I aiming for? What does my day-to-day look like? Who are my customers specifically? What do I value most? What am I willing to give up?
- Start taking action.
- Learn from whatever happens, course-correct, improve, repeat.
Easier said than done. But I need to take action to continue.